Friday, October 2, 2009

Greg's Pursuit





Ken Ervin and Mike O'Brian introduced Greg (pictured above, at a protest at the Weston State Hospital) to advocacy.

"Ken and Mike showed me that I can do anything that I put my mind to," Greg says. "A lot of people where telling me that I was not capable of doing what other people where doing, like working, having real relationships, and living on my own."

In December, Greg started his advocacy business, Bilonick Advocacy. In the last nine months, Greg has focused on transition work with students and also begun exploring other business opportunities, searching for ways to take a market-based approach towards advocacy. "Finding ways to get paid to do advocacy has been frustrating--most advocates are funded through grants and also by state and federal money," Greg said. "I've created a line of buttons that where a hit at a recent People First Conference. I've also got a few other ideas that I'll pursue in the next few months."

Greg has also decided to pursue a second job. "I'm hoping to explore other opportunities--I'd like to see what I'm capable of doing."

No comments:

Post a Comment